This week we are praying for Susanna Baldwin in Darwin, Australia working with Wycliffe on a PEV (Plain English Version) Bible translation project.
1. Give thanks that God has helped me reach a decision to stay in Darwin for at least the rest of 2022. Pray that I can sit well with the discomfort of 'divided loyalties' between Australia and Ethiopia, my original planned destination. Please continue to pray for God's guidance as to whether I should still seek a return there one day.
2. Please pray for my continued progress on translating Genesis into the Plain English Version (PEV) - that my work will be faithful to God's truth and message, and that my gospel motivation will always outweigh my enjoyment of the intellectual challenge!
3. Pray for the Aboriginal people around Darwin who help us test-read the draft PEV chapters - it's a great opportunity for informal ministry as we discuss Bible passages with them, and they will often ask for prayer from us. Pray that lifelong disciples will be made and nurtured.
4. The PEV Mini-Bible (containing 70% of the New Testament and a few excerpts of the Old Testament) was due to be printed and published early this year, but the process keeps stalling due to various technical and personnel issues. My colleagues tell me this is very common when a major volume of Scripture is about to be launched - Satan will try everything to stop God's Word reaching people's hearts. Pray that his schemes will not prevail.
5. Give thanks for my colleague Melody, who originally came to work as our publicist but who has developed an interest in translation work. She has begun a draft of the Book of Hebrews for the PEV and is making great progress so far. Please continue to pray for more much-needed translators and other ministry workers in the Top End
6. Give thanks and pray for my involvement at Christ Church Cathedral, Darwin, where I'm co-leading a youth Bible study and working with a team to establish a new 'missional' evening service. Pray for grace, peace and unity between members of the cathedral from different backgrounds and traditions, and for the minister Rob as he seeks to shepherd us.
7. Give thanks for the opportunity to visit England in the middle of the year and to reconnect with family, friends and supporters there (including a visit to BH on Sun 19 June).