Latest news and 'Thought for the day'
Thought for the Day by Phil Washington (BH Member)
Life does not consist in an abundance of possessions – Luke 12:15
‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions’ Says our Lord to the rich fool.
Such teaching is the very opposite of what we hear every day on the TV or on social media. There we are told that we need to amass more and more possessions, as they will lead to a better, brighter and more fulfilled life. We are sold the lie that we are what we wear, and our value and worth is measured by what we own. In chapter 8:14 of the same gospel, the Lord teaches that life’s riches can choke and stifle spiritual growth. He also says in 16:15 that ‘What people value highly is detestable to God’. No wonder His warning is so clear.
During this Covid19 pandemic, we have a great opportunity to wean ourselves from the national pastime of buying more and more ‘things’. Let’s seek other ‘treasures’, ones that are far more valuable and important. What things are they you ask? Look in Revelation 3:18 where the risen Lord advises a materially rich, yet spiritually poor church what to buy from Him. Then in your prayers, ask Him to show you what these treasures are and then seek them from Him. The shops may be shut, but the Lord’s ears are always open to our requests for these things.
Greetings to all the B.H family.
BH Quiz No. 4 - Questions by Martin White (BH Member)
1. When, where and to whom did James Hannington get married?
2. How many children did James Hannington and his wife have?
3. Can you name the five most recent venues used by KO for their weekends away?
4. To one of those venues KO needed to fly. Where did they fly to?
5. Before the current blue chairs were installed in the church, what sort of seating was there?
6. In the Nevill Avenue entrance to the church there is a wall plaque commemorating the refurbishment of the lounge. What is the date on that plaque?
7. Built into the outside wall of the church vestry there is a small basin with a drain leading outside the building. What is it called and what is its purpose?
8. Where was the original site for a vicarage located?
9.Why was the site sold off before the vicarage could be built?
Answers next week.
Day of Repentance & Prayer by Giles Cockman
Mental Health Awareness 2020
Please follow the link below to our Resources page for more information.